Sunday, January 1, 2012

New Year's Resolutions

Hi,

I hope you are all enjoying your first day of 2012.

The bad thing about a new year, other than spending the first few months of it writing 2011 instead of 2012, is that you need to make a resolution or two. Normally I set one which I fail. Last year I think I resolved to finish The Magician's Tattoo. Ha! In the whole of 2012 I think I wrote a chapter and half and edited the other chapters a little. There is too much other stuff going on. I did, however write 3 short stories and 12 articles which is good. Sadly that was not my resolution.

This year, I'm going to make things easier for myself and set realistic resolutions.

1. I resolve to upload 52 posts to this blog in 2012. The aim is one a week, but by saying 52 I can allow myself to catch up on weeks I miss and still succeed.

2. I resolve to write more than 2011. I have not quantified this so that I don't get bogged down in numbers. If I continue with my article a month and an annual halloween and christmas story plus a contest story I will succeed on the grounds that I write 2 chapter this year.

3. I resolve to revise more than in 2011. Simply by revising for the January exams will let me tick this one off. GCSE allowed me to get good grades with minimal revision... A Levels don't!

4. I resolve to learn over 150 new words this year. This one will be easy. For Christmas I got a page-a-day calendar called 365 new words a year. The calendar ab ovo has taught me a new word. Ab ovo, by the way is the first 'word' in the calendar and means 'from the beginning'. Its current meaning came in the 16th century when Sir Philip Sidney adapted it to mean 'from the beginning'. Originally 'Ab ovo' meant 'from the' and was followed by any suitable word. For example Horace, the roman poet, wrote 'Ab ovo usque ad mala' which translates to 'From the egg to the apple'. You can see in that sense 'ab ovo' means from the. OK, I'm going off on a tangent here, but you get my drift.

5. To get an A in all of my AS levels and an A or above in Fast Track A2 ICT. This is more of a requirement for the rest of my life as med schools need those As

I will be emailing this list to myself through 'futureme' and I will receive it next year.

Thanks for reading

Matt B

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
AbeBooks.com – Textbooks